Saturday, March 28, 2009

czech republic part 4: jindrichuv hradec

After our time with Uncle Joseph in Trebic, we headed by bus to Jindrichuv Hradec, which is where my mom grew up. My cousin Joseph (Jajik) on the left, met my mom and I at the bus station, and led us to where we were going to stay. My uncle Lubor (middle) was at the house to greet us. This house was originally willed to Lubor and my mom, and then my grandparents lived there in their later years. It now serves as a holiday home for Lubor and his daughter's family.

After a delicious lunch of soup and bread, we went for a walk around the town. I couldn't resist taking this picture of the the 15th parallel written in Mandarin (for Scott's benefit).


Below is a picture of the backyard of the house we stayed at, not a bad size, complete with an old water pump that still worked, and room for a garden (which everyone in Czech Republic has).

My mom and her brother Lubor had lots to talk about and I was content to listen in, occasionally interjecting with a "co/kdo je _____?" ("what/who is_____?") for the many Czech words I do not know, or have long since forgotten. This picture is also of the backyard, but from the opposite direction (the house that you see in the center, is the one in which we stayed).

I loved hearing my mom say to her brother, "Do you remember when..." and start to recount a story of their childhood. We went for a walk in the park where my mom often played as a child, my mom even showed me the very place where she broke her arm. She didn't want to tell her parents, but my grandfather, observant doctor that he was, noticed right away in how she was carrying her arm with her other hand.

Here is an old castle or chateau nearby the park. Close to this place was where my grandfather had buried some silver in order to keep it from being confiscated by the communist government.

I forget just what they are pointing at and talking about, but I just really liked this picture, it shows the reminiscing that continued for the duration of our walk. Even with the choppy, bare-bones conversations between my Uncle Lubor and I, I could still appreciate his humour and get to know him because I could understand so much more than I could say.
Inside the house was beautiful, totally renovated and cleaned up since my grandparents' passing, yet still including a lot of the old artwork, tapestries and furniture. I took a lot of pictures.

I loved the bright colours in this one! Thanks to my dad, my appreciation for not-too-detailed oil paintings are high. He used to say: if you want detail, take a picture, otherwise paint one.

We spent a lot of time poring over a thick old album that my grandfather put together. It was really interesting to get a glimpse or an idea of what his parents were like and what his childhood was like etc. This is a picture of my grandfather in his volunteer fireman's uniform, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree because my brother Rob is one of those today!

Can you guess who this is? It's my mom! She still remembers that itchy dress and being walked to the painter's house by her grandmother I believe, and having to pose for what must have seemed like an eternity at the time. So worth it now! I can see a bit of Dana in this picture, can you?