Saturday, January 3, 2009

Scott is 30 now too!

For Scott's birthday, I tried my hand at making Scott's favourite cakes: angel food cake and pineapple-upside down cake. These were his Grandma B's specialties. Let's just say I have a long ways to go to get to her level! Maybe by Scott's 60th I'll have them down.

Scott let Eli blow out the candles. He still hasn't quite figured out how to do that, he would blow and then try to keep blowing even after he had run out of air. His face would redden from the effort, but the candles would stay lit.


I took Scott to an Aircraft Carrier Theme Park on his birthday. We took a taxi, a light-rail, then a bus to get there (about 2 hours) and toured the circa 1970 Soviet Aircraft Carrier. It was in use for some time, retired and sold to China in 1999.

This was on the top level, the bridge of the aircraft carrier, the "cockpit" so to speak.

Scott posing in front of one of the fighters.

I'm posing with a Russian sailor holding some kind of artillery shell. At first I thought we were in the wine cellar!

Some of the best advice I've heard in a long time...could also serve as inspiration for developing New Year's Resolutions.

On one of the lower decks, one of the many control rooms, with a poster of V. I. Lenin. I figured my dad would enjoy this one. I also wished my brother Albert could have come with us, with his knowledge of Russian and military stuff, I'm sure I'd have learned a lot more. When he comes, we will have to go again.

Here's Scott posing in front of the Aircraft Carrier itself. It is not the biggest as far as Aircraft Carriers go, but still formidable.

I think this sign was made by the same people who made the sign by a park near us "Civilization walk the dog" it says, (meant to tell you to keep your dog on a leash).

Civilization Happy New Year!